Tuesday 3 May 2011

How did you address/attract your audience?







I knew that, when planning the construction and factors within my piece, an important concept which would arise is location, location, location!
Bearing in mind that members of the population who actually live within an urban surrounding attend the cinema more often than those of rural surrounding, i knew i would need to mold my piece around this factor. I wanted to predominantly display familiarity within opening to create more relevance, hence many shots displaying locations recognised as an urban area (left). But as you can see i have incorporated images recognised as rural locations (middle) and even a mixture of the two types of area (right). Not only does this fit well with the unfamiliar storyline, but it also creates a sense of variety, which was credited within my audience responses.

when adapting a media product, every part of it, down to what titles you use needs to become relevant not only to the story, but your audience. Realising that the genre of my piece could fall under the 'art house' style and what audience it would attract, i knew that big bubble writing wouldn't do. I decided to use the 'snellround' font within Final Cut Express as this quite italic looking wording had quite a mature, polished look to it. I wanted to display titles that would work in parallel with the style of the piece, as i believe that creating too many in-ordinary factors in the construction would over-complicate the narrative, hence leaving the audience disconnected.

Within my audience research i asked several willing candidates the question 'What do you think makes a good psychological thriller?'. Answers include that, 'it's a bit scary, has a bit of mystery', 'choppy scenes' and 'gradual increase in pace'. As i digested these views, i could get a clearer picture on the ideal structure of my narrative. As you can see from my piece, i have incorporated the change of pace e.g variation of length in shots, moving shots. I have, to hopeful appreciation, achieved a sense of mystery through my choice of mise-en-scene e.g. supernatural being (suited man), black and white colouring. I would have incorporated many other ideas, but i was restricted to only the views of those within the school. So in this case, concepts such as regional identity would have played a part, meaning that an audience within a different part of the U.K or elsewhere might have a different taste or viewpoint.

I would consider that the most attractive factor for my chosen audience would be the 'supernatural' concept. This concept tends to be quite widely appreciated through the age range as it is different ; unconventional in relation to every day occurrences. And although this film would tend to attract the more aficionados viewer, mainstream viewers can appreciate the story also, as the 'supernatural' concept allows the viewer to lose themselves in the cinematic world of fiction, providing escapism from everyday stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment